We are planning to go forward with the Coaches Clinic and Annual Meeting on August 1st, Masks will be required. Details are HERE.
Reminders on Coach-Athlete Out of Season Contact
As per the Coach-Athlete Out of Season Contact rule, all in-person contact between coaches/administrators and student-athletes in all sports is prohibited.
Sport specific virtual (video, phone, social media, etc.) contact between coaches and athletes in all sports (except baseball and softball – see below) is prohibited. Virtual “wellness” check-in with athletes is permitted.
Posting links to articles and videos (not produced by the coach) is permitted. Sending such links to individuals or groups of students is not permitted.
No live and/or group strength and conditioning demonstration or specific instruction is permitted. A strength and conditioning coach may share (including links to) articles and individual workout videos (including coach-created). None of these may be sport-specific and must be shared with all students in the school; not select students. Coaches may not require athletes to complete workouts nor require athletes to report workouts completed.
We are awaiting guidance from the Department of Education regarding Coach-Athlete Out of Season contact regarding the established June 1 start date for permissible contact. The date and what will be permitted is dependent upon availability of school facilities.
A few end-of-season notes from your Iowa High School Bowling Coaches Association and the IGCA:
1. Thanks to all for your efforts this year. The impact that you have on your bowlers will last them a lifetime. You continue to impress and inspire me, thank you for being who you are.
3. Coaches can ensure they get updates by signing-up for our mailing list to the right of this post. Communications around our end-of-season awards will be coming from that mailing list, as well as being posted to our homepage and the IGCA. Please make sure your area coaches are on our list.
4. All-district and all-state awards will be determined by season average. These awards are based on regular season results. On Saturday, February 15th, I will be pulling qualifying averages from Quik Stats. Please make sure your competitions are entered before that date. Coaches with high average bowlers that may be in contention for all-district awards, but are not academically eligible or should otherwise not be considered for an award should notify me immediately. Coaches, we are relying on you to self-report any of your students that should be withheld from these awards for any reason. Please make sure scores are accurately and completely entered, withholding or altering scores for athletes is cause for removal from all-district awards.
5. Academic All-State nominations can still be turned in, the form is available here. Requirements are Minimum 27 ACT AND 3.75 GPA
It’s a busy time of year but feel free to reach out with questions or concerns. Good Luck to all!!
Iowa High School Bowling Coaches Association
While this new rule doesn’t impact teams until next season (2020-2021). I am send this reminder now so you have ample time to address with bowlers that may be impacted next year….
No balance holes as of Aug. 1, 2020
When Aug. 1, 2020, rolls around, bowlers will not be allowed to use a ball with a balance hole and all gripping holes must be used on every delivery. With this change, there is an increase in top/bottom and side weights, and the specification allowing increases in static weights for bowling balls without balance holes has been in effect since Aug. 1, 2018, to allow a smoother transition for bowlers.
To ensure your equipment is ready for the 2020-2021 season, we encourage bowlers to update their equipment as soon as possible. See more details regarding the drilling specification changes here.
Don’t forget… let your bowlers know about the ball drilling changes for NEXT season.
A new season is just around the corner, practices can begin Monday, November 11th. A few details to remember:
– Make sure you have completed your required rules meeting, available here: https://apps.iahsaa.org/secure/borulesmeeting_start.php
– An updated version of this year’s rules are available here: https://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-20-Bowling-Manual.pdf. Make sure you note the updates for this season that are highlighted.
– Concussion forms are available online here: https://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/HeadsUpConcussionFactSheet.pdf
– You can sign-up for our mailing list on our website http://iowabowlingcoaches.org. I would STRONGLY encourage you to have all coaches on your team to sign-up. This will guarantee you are getting updates. Please share this with other coaches in your area as well.
– Districts will be defined after we get the FINAL school classifications and will be posted on our website. As previously done, all-district awards will be determined by average as long as bowlers meet minimum participation levels and eligibility requirements. Head coaches will be given the opportunity to withhold bowlers if they do not meet the requirements of their particular team. Please ensure you are only entering regular season statistics on Quikstats as I will need to manually remove all erroneously posted post-season statistics from our results. Preliminary classifications for the girls are here: https://ighsau.org/upl/downloads/content-blocks/tentative-bowling-classes-11-4-19.pdf and the boys are here: https://apps.iahsaa.org/secure/teamspublic.php?sport=bo
– Other important dates:
First meet: November 25
Playing dates: 12
State qualifying tournaments: February 18
Class 1A: February 24
Class 2A: February 25
Class 3A: February 26
QuikStats reporting dates: QuikStats will be checked every Tuesday during the regular season